This last batch of stories (for the LitCritter plot-focused activity) taught me several things:
1. plot provides the muscle and bone for robust stories;
2. plot alone can extend page count, and -- in conjunction with other techniques -- can extend a story to novel length;
3. too much plot -- especially unnecessary plot details -- can overwhelm a story (know what your story is);
4. tried and true plots can be saved by other storytelling techniques;
5. it helps to write the 'outline/story' on a single layer or two before fixing and fleshing out.